This blog is intended to keep my family and friends up-to-date about my
activities, thoughts and feelings, while being away from Germany "across
the pond" working as an intern at DaimlerChrysler RTNA in Palo Alto, CA.

Tuesday, March 29

Exam <esc>:wq (aka s/stress/party/g)

No posts for some time due to a stressful week. So I am just enjoying a fine bottle of Californian wine and going to tell you what happened during the last week.

Wednesday
Exam day! Had the first major exam (three lectures in Distributed Systems, namely Computer Networks 1+2 and Distributed Application Systems, 30mins oral exam, roughly 10mins each) and I'm really satisfied. Scored a 1.7, which should be a B+ converted to the American scale. The problem with these kind of exams is, that you can't afford long cogitation intervals or delayed answers at all, because the exam is simply too short. However, the funny part of the exam was, that I was asked a question (Why TCP is a fair protocol?), which I didn't understand exactly before the exam, but in a bright moment (which even occur to me once in a while ;) something in my mind switched and suddenly it was absolutely clear! ;)

Straightly went to Arlt afterwards to reward me for all the learning stress and bought a dual USB2.0/Firewire 160GB external harddisk. Went to Woody to talk about the exam and tested the new harddisk with a Linux 2.6.9 kernel and it ran surprisingly well without any problems at all directly from the beginning. We copied 5GB in approximately 3mins over an USB cable, which averages in 16MB/s. Nice performance! So I can take all of my data with me to America. However, I am still playing with the idea to buy a new notebook.

Celebrated the exam a little at Mash in the evening together with Alex and Etze. The waitress this evening was an absolute disaster, not visually but competently. She was very unfriendly and each round had to be ordered at least twice additionally resulting in getting the wrong drink! However, she was also unable to sum up prices, so we paid a lot less than actually expected! ;)

Thursday
Had another dentist appointment. The final provisional solution wasn't ready yet, so she just pulled the twines. Have to go there again on Monday, April 4th. Went to the fitness center afterwards and to Ludwigsburg and Marbach in the evening to play pool together with Ingo and Marc.

Friday
Don't remember doing anything beside watching TV. Went to Ebersberg near Munich in the evening to visit Konse and Key. Ferris MC made me drive aggressively resulting in a speed boost, so I managed the distance in less than two hours!

Saturday
Went snowboarding in Reit im Winkl together with Konse and Key. It was so warm and the snow was so wet that this was actually surfing! ;) Unfortunately took no photographs this time. Played the board game Anno 1503 in the evening, Konse won! Daylight savings time warp happened at 2am! ;)

Sunday
Too lazy, too tired and too bad snow to go snowboarding this day again! Instead, all we did was eating and playing Anno 1503 again, Konse won again! Damn it! Key showed me how to make Hefezopf, tried this myself on Monday, see forthcoming post. Went bowling in the evening and ate pizza in my car, great mistake! The car still smells like tuna pizza! Went home to Altbach afterwards and met Jasi and Hartmut at Juleps.

More to come soon, stay blogged!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home