This blog is intended to keep my family and friends up-to-date about my
activities, thoughts and feelings, while being away from Germany "across
the pond" working as an intern at DaimlerChrysler RTNA in Palo Alto, CA.

Monday, April 18

Close Windows

As in "Open Minds, Open Source, Open Future, Close Windows". My Windows installation just died after installing the latest IDE acceleration drivers and refuses to boot anymore. Just when I finished configuring easy web and mail access for my mom to contact me during the internship. Damn it! The README states: "Users who are unsure as to whether they should install the patch can be assured that if they do install the patch, even if it is not necessary, it will cause no harm to their system. The patch will detect your systems configuration and install only when necessary." Yeah! Whatever!

Maybe that's the event I've unconsciously been waiting for to ultimately kick Windows and completely switch over to Linux. Especially after my positive Linux FireWire experience with the latest 2.6.11.7 kernel yesterday. Tried to access my external harddisk from my notebook via a PCMCIA Cardbus controller. So I modprobed ieee1394 for basic FireWire support, ohci1394 to support the controller and sbp2 to get access to the external harddisk. That's it! Now you can mount the external harddisk as SCSI device as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home